Cosmetic dentists are different from general dentists. Cosmetic dentistry focuses on the appearance of teeth and smiles and not necessarily the health of the teeth. Obviously, oral hygiene is important no matter what your teeth look like. Cosmetic dentists perform procedures like teeth whitening, dentures, veneers, braces, etc.
To ensure that you choose the right dentist for your cosmetic procedure, consider the following points.
- Choose a dentist that is registered with the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. Dentists that are registered with the AACD have to comply with strict ethics and they have gone through rigorous training to ensure they meet all the necessary standards. You can trust that a dentist registered with AACD knows what he is doing.
- Ask for referrals. Ask your friends and family for referrals if they have had any cosmetic dentistry procedures done. You can also do some research online and look for reviews or comments about dentists that you are considering.
- Check the credentials and experience. Make sure that the dentist you choose has all the necessary qualifications and licenses. You don’t want someone who has just done a few short courses or who is still learning. We all want to support the guys that are starting out, but when it comes to cosmetic dentistry, you don’t want to take any chances. Most of the procedures cost a lot of money and can cause permanent damage if performed incorrectly. You can ask for these credentials or find them online.
- Ask for before and after photos. The best way to see whether a dentist can do what you want is to check their photos and see what their work looks like. Different dentists prefer different things and not all of them see the same thing as aesthetic.
- Ask your general dentist for a referral. General dentists cannot necessarily perform cosmetic dentistry and good dentists will be able to refer you to a colleague who can. This would be a good place to start.
- Trust your instincts. You can go to the dentist you are considering and meet him and find out how he would go about what you want. You should be clear on what you expect and need. Your instincts will tell you if it is the right fit. You should also pay attention to whether the dentist is listening to what you want or just going with what he wants.
Choosing the right cosmetic dentist should be taken seriously and you should really do your research. Cosmetic dentistry procedures are not things you want to mess up or get half done. You need to be able to trust the dentist and feel comfortable with him. At Sedation Dentistry Colorado, we take this very seriously and will gladly offer any information you need.