Do you also want whiter teeth but you’re not keen on using commercial and chemical-based products? No worries, because we have some natural alternatives. Teeth whitening has become a very popular trend among the famous and not so famous. It seems everyone wants whiter teeth. Many people are a bit sceptical or cautious when it comes to buying teeth whitening products over-the-counter. Most of these products contain chemicals that can be harmful to us. So, today we look at some natural alternatives to help keep your teeth whiter.
First, let’s look at what causes stains and discoloration of teeth. Drinking coffee, wine, soda, and eating dark fruits can cause staining. It is natural for teeth to become more yellow over time due to food and drink intake and also because the enamel starts eroding away. The dentin below the enamel naturally has a yellow color. Smoking is another culprit for yellowing teeth.
Natural teeth whitening options include:
- Avoid habits that cause staining – As mentioned above, some foods and drinks cause staining, as does smoking. The first step to reduce teeth yellowing is to cut back on these habits or stop them completely.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – This is a great way to get rid of stains as well as bacteria. You can rinse your mouth with a solution of apple cider vinegar and water or you can brush your teeth with it. It has natural acids and will help remove stains. The vinegar is a bit abrasive and you should not use too much of it or too often. If you do, it might eat away your tooth enamel.
- Oil Pulling – This is a new method that has recently become popular. The basic idea is to take a tablespoon of oil and swish it round in your mouth for 15 to 20 minutes. This method has been used by traditional medicine practitioners for a long time and they used sunflower oil. However, it has been shown that coconut oil is also effective for this method. Coconut oil also has many other great qualities and it is not harmful at all.
- Baking Soda toothpaste – Baking soda is well-known for its use in cleaning kitchens and stains. It also works well for your teeth. You can brush your teeth with a paste made from baking soda and water to help whiten your teeth. This should obviously be done with care and not so often that the enamel is eaten away.
- Fruits and vegetables – Eating raw fruits and vegetables help to clear away bacteria and plaque. So, having a good diet of fresh fruits and veg will already help to keep your teeth clean and white. Many people also believe that strawberries and pineapples have the ability to whiten teeth when rubbed on it. People also say that rubbing orange, lemon, or banana skin on your teeth will help to remove stains and whiten the teeth.
If you cannot afford professional teeth whitening or don’t want to try out the chemically based products, try these simple methods and see if they work. Not all these methods have been scientifically proven to have a whitening effect, but it is worth a try.